The Women’s Sports Network (WSNet) and Menopause Matters (MM) magazine are about to announce a collaboration to develop self-help resource material to help women understand what happens to their bodies in the run up to menopause and what changes they can expect. It will also advocate strategies for diet, lifestyle and exercise to control and/or ameliorate symptoms.
MenoMoJo - will be part of the MoJoManual series. ‘MoJos' are designed to help women & girls overcome some of the many issues they face engaging in sport. Predicated on Physical Literacy’ they also cover items such as; body image, diet, anxiety, breast health, fit or thin, social media, training with menstruation, coach attitude, fear of failure etc.
MoJos – are an inspiring educational resources that have been voluntarily written by top sport scientists, leading coaches and educational tutors from around the world. Menopause Matters is the award-winning website (www.menopausematters.co.uk) and only national menopause print magazine in Europe.
Contributors - the outline subject framework for MenoMoJo is given below. We are keen to make contact with those researching in the areas listed. MM & WSNet have considerable source information archives but contributions or comments from those currently working in this field are encouraged. We would also be interest to hear from folk who might be interested in joining a ‘steering group’ for this project.
MenoMoJo framework (DRAFT)
- FIND YOUR MOJO – overview of effects/impact of menopause
- WHAT IS MENOPAUSE – and when does it happen?
- MENOPAUSE – symptoms,
- ANATOMY – relevant frame/muscles, structure – wrt to menopause – i.e. osteopenia, osteoporosis, general bone health
- CORE STRENGTH importance, of diaphragm, pelvic floor, abdominals
- STRONGER – intro to resistance exercise
- FITTER – intro to cardio vascular exercises
- FLEXIBLE – intro to yoga
- HOW TECHNOLOGY CAN HELP – apps and tools like Fitbit etc.
- CHILDBIRTH AND LONGER TERM EFFECTS – pelvic organ prolapse (PoP)
- SKIN CARE
- SLEEP – why it’s important and tips for improving quality
- HEART HEALTH
- DIET – healthy eating, supplements (the latter can be a minefield, important to ensure any claims are qualified/referenced)
- DRINKS – the good the bad and the . . . to be avoided!
- SEX AND THE MENOPAUSE – loss of libido, tips to improve your relationship
- AVAILABLE TREATMENTS – HRT - issues and outcomes, CBT, Prescribable non-HRT drugs, Testosterone for post-menopausal women, treatments for peri-menopause, making decisions for you.
- BODY IMAGE after 45 – weight gain – preparing and knowing what to expect, other options for weight loss, BMI calculator.
- EMOTIONS - WHO CAN HELP? – the role of qualified menopause specialists.
- CHANGE FOR CHANGE - tuning your cycle/eating/sleeping/exercise and adapting to your menopause.
- PARTNER SUPPORT – how can male (or female) partners – help. What men need to know – it’s no joke!
- BEST DRESSED - choosing clothes for business, social and exercise
- FIT FOR PURPOSE – it’s never too late to get fit
- FITNESS – preparation & programmes
- INJURY PREVENTION
- HOLDING BACK THE YEARS – without the tears – strategies & pathways to exercise (Running, Nordic/Walking, Cycling Rowing, ) and the benefit of each
- MAKE A PLAN – buddy up – let’s do this!
- GLOSSARY – of terms
Please contact email@example.com – expressing your area of interest and any links to relevant papers/articles.
Background to The World’s Sport, Health & Fitness Network
WSNet is a self-funded, cooperative network of groups and individuals working independently as associates and part-time volunteers. It is a not-for-profit community approaching one hundred thousand worldwide. Crystallising the issues & coordinating opportunities around WomenSport & Fitness by working in partnership with commercial/NGBs/educational & charitable organisations to raise the profile of WomenSport & SportsWomen. Advocating better access to Sport/FITNess, alleviating gender-bias and empowering women & girls through sport & fitness in their everyday lives.
WSNet relies on contributions/donations from a small group of parents and associates and yet has developed a world-wide network who contribute freely to the general shared IP - giving WSNet the momentum to really change the lives of women & girls in both western and 'third world' countries through sport fitness & health.
Can you help our work in AFRICA? - http://www.wsnet.co.uk/mojoafrica
Sign up for Menopause Matters FREE newsletter - https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/